Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A sunny kitchen and the reciprocity of art




I was sitting in the kitchen with my kids and I was listening to my friend Christy Field's song "If Anyone" (written for the kids in her life) this morning and thinking about the reciprocity of the art I give and others give to me. Christy gave me 3 CD's of songs and I have given her a painting. I read her message to me that thanked me for the painting while I just happened to be listening to that song. This was not a coincidence. My kids were eating their cereal in the sunny morning kitchen and I thought, all is well in this very moment. A gift to her, to me, and my kids (which I proceeded to tell them that Christy "wrote this song for all kids") It was beautiful and I felt an earnest yearing for purity and in the song. The message she sent expressed how the painting has brought her so much light and love in her home. I have traded paintings in the past too. The one pictured here was traded for another painting almost 6 years ago. I don't even remember the name of the girl I traded with. We showed at the same place in Nashville, liked each others work, and we traded paintings. I have bartered with art for services like photography and hair cuts. I think bartering is one of the most harmonious forms of commerce. The giving of things with personal value can only be measured by the receiver. I hope to be giving and getting the gold in this life. We all deserve that. Check out Christy Fields song called "If Anyone" at http://www.myspace.com/christydawnfields

No comments: