Thursday, March 26, 2009

Art Heals


My day today will be better because of all the things I get to give people. There are things to give that I made that I am going to give, and things that others (including kids) have made in my classes. I am especially moved by a handmade clay bead that I fired for a friend last night. She made it this week to send out of town for a memorial. The family was asking that everyone either make, buy, or find a bead to string as a collective memorial for this child's passing. As terribly inconceivable as the death of a child, something like this gets the family and friends together and doing something. I know my friend felt like she was able to "do something-anything" to help her friends in pain. She left saying "this was therapeautic for me" Art has a way of doing that for people. In the moment we are making it, we are out of the pain, the concentration on the problem, or the feeling of helplessness.

I am meeting another artist/songwriter friend who was just diagnosed last fall with MS at 33 years old today for lunch. She is so positive and focused on eating right and keeping her spirits up. I know a new painting would bring that to her each day. My hope is that as she looks at the colors I painted and she feels lifted. Because it is a gift, I know my friend will see the painting and always know that she is cared for and she is not alone. I can't take away this harsh truth in her life, but I can give her art that reminds her that she is loved. I painted her two (one is pictured above) and placed a quote by Ashliegh Brilliant www.ashleighbrilliant.com on it; "I am just moving clouds today, tomorrow I'll try mountains"
Art does heal, it's up there with laughter, good food, and friends. I am grateful to give these pieces of healing love today in the form of clay, paint, and canvas. I am grateful others do the same in the world. The world needs art.

No comments: