Sunday, March 22, 2009

Rocket Ship Spring Blast Off



The first day of spring, and the end of a spring break week left us all very fufilled and exhausted. We ended the week with my last of 6 classes with my first session at Art Life Studio. It was great to see the kids show their parents their portfolios - we made so many things and they learned about several mediums. We had hanging fish, mobiles, color wheels, paintings and drawings. The clay pieces are being fired this week. Afterwards, Milo (my 3 1/2 year old) and I painted this appliance box together. It was our project one-on-one, spontaneous and free. We first cut 2 doors and 2 peep holes. Then the color, wonderful color, all over the place. This simple box showed me that all the toys in the world can never add up to the imagination within us all - with no money and no car needed we created another world. I also got some dryer vent tubing from the garage and that served as the way we "fueled up" before blast off. The sun danced off this silver flexible tubing- and I loved the way it looked next to the kid painted sides and hard angles of the box. A sculpture, a rocket ship, a one-on-one moment with one of my kids, a perfect 65 degree day. Totally free, totally us, totally back to basics.

No comments: